Call for Abstracts: Culture in Conflict Symposium (25 to 27 May 2016)
This year the Culture in Conflict Symposium (25 to 27 May) is working closely with a related conference, the Spatial Socio-Cultural Knowledge Workshop, which takes place in the first part of the week (23-25 May) under an overall title of ‘Understanding People and Places’. They are collaborating on a combined day for both conferences on 25 May which will address Cultural Heritage Protection.
This symposium explores two complementary areas: the practitioner’s experience of culture and its effects on operations, and the potential contribution of those who study culture and cultural heritage to bring further understanding. These themes are entwined so that each feeds off and informs the other
- Event time: 09:00
- Location: Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham
How can you contribute?
Papers are invited on all subjects connecting operational and cultural issues, including, for example:
* Cultural Heritage Protection and its interaction with indigenous culture and/or the culture of global protective organizations (such as Blue Shield)
* Taking account of local cultural factors in planning and preparation for humanitarian and military operations
* Cultural factors in hard and soft targeting
* Cultural issues in understanding cyber activity, and in conducting cyber operations
* Cultural issues in cooperation between military and humanitarian organisations
* The treatment of cultural heritage in the absence of effective order
* The place of the Internet and tele-working in accessing cultural resources
* Case studies: Experiences from the field from both operational and social science perspectives
If you wish to submit an abstract on the topics above, please email your abstract of around 200 words to Leanne@sympoisaatshrivenham.com no later than Friday 08th April.
Papers should be planned to take 20 minutes to present followed by 10 minutes for questions.
For more detail on the event, including Registration, booking display space and sponsorship, please visit their website.